With us into fall, and many places getting too much rain, it is time to be getting ready for your landscape overhaul. As I have said before, I love planting in the fall and the winter. Of course, if you live extreme north, you are quickly running out of time before the ground completely freezes for the winter. Today I want to give you a teaser overview on how to start creating a landscape design. Starting a design is obviously the hardest part. I have put together an outline on what to evaluate about your attitude, situation and site. I have assembled it from the perspective of if you were doing a project for someone else and you needed answers to begin the design.
The questions you should ask yourself before starting a Landscape Design should look like this. Once all these questions have been answered, you will know exactly how to precede with the design. If you want to send me pictures of your area to design, I will give my opinion on what should be installed.
Evaluate Likes / Dislikes
- Do you want Color
- How much Maintenance
- Do you want Flowers in the design
- Or just all Shrubs
- What are the Goals of this project
- What are your Desires for the end result
- Are you Selling the home / when?
- Is this your final Permanent home
- Is there a Wedding planned for your house
- Is there a Party planned / when?
Evaluate Future Projects
- Concrete / driveways – walks
- What kind of Sun do you get in the morning/afternoon
- Does it get any Shade
- Does the house have Brick or Siding
- Does a Tree create shade or block visibility
Evaluate Windows / Doors
- Brick color
- Tree color
- Other blooming plants in yard
- Fence? What Color
- Nearby animals – dogs, cats, deer, rabbit